Saturday, November 29, 2014

Star Wars The Force Awakens

If you haven't seen the official Star Wars teaser trailer for the new movie I suggest that you do.  It looks inspiring.  Of course all of the Star Wars trailers do.  What can go wrong when you show some shiny new stormtroopers, a couple of improved X-wing fighters, a lone hooded Sith with a red lightsaber and the upgraded Millennium Falcon?  All I can say is I'm incredibly excited.  J.J. Abrams seems to be heading in the direction of re-vitalizing my favorite sci-fi franchise of all time.  He already gave a new lease on life to the Star Trek franchise by re-making their universe in a new light and did it with a light touch at first but a touch that made sense.  How you feel about the 2nd movie, Star Trek Into Darkness...emotions run high on both sides there.  I loved the new Khan but a new universe deserves new stories told.
Now, I don't know about the rest of you but I breathe and dream Star Wars.  Its in my blood so much that I've written fan-fiction that I'm hoping to parlay into a couple of books later on down the line now that Disney has made the decision to make everything written in the Expanded Universe as non-canon.  So my fingers are crossed and hoping that I can sell my ideas and fulfill a life-long dream of writing about the Jedi and their eternal battle against the Sith.  In the mean time I'm counting down the days until next year when Star Wars The Force Awakens opens I will be praying for J. J. Abrams health and safety every night.  Now when it comes to Star Wars fans there are generally two types of fans.  Movies fans and Expanded Universe fans.  Movie fans are only aware of the events from all six movies.  Expanded Universe fans are those fans who loved Star Wars so much we took it to a new level and read all of the books that told all of the continuing adventures of our favorite Smuggler, Wookie, Princess, Jedi, Gambler, and two droids.  Not to mention the children that are born from these heroes and blaze their own trail of light across the galaxy.  A lot of fans were upset when Disney stated that the Expanded Universe was non-canon and then called it Legends.
This may have upset many Star Wars fans including yours truly but it was a clever marketing ploy that allowed Disney to create a new fresh vision of the Star Wars universe without having to be restrained by the material that has been put out there.  Hey I was mad for 2 months and I may still want to curb-stomp a few Disney officials who made that call but I can forgive them because they have J.J. Abrams at the helm.  This the man who brought us Cloverfield, Super 8, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Mission Impossible III, Lost, Alias, Almost Human, Person of Interest, & Fringe.  His creative team is all over the map writing for so many shows its amazing that he hasn't taken over hollywood yet, but ladies and gentlemen believe me when I tell you that we are looking at the next Steven Spielberg.  Its amazing how far the evolution of film-making has come and I can tell you that whenever his name is mentioned I know that its going to be an exciting time at the movies.  Thank the Maker that J.J. Abrams is strong with the Force.

No comments: